5 Benefits of Investing in a Whole Home GeneratorDecember 15, 2022
Why Does My Home’s Circuit Breaker Keep Tripping?February 17, 2023
Every year, in homes all across America, studies have shown that an estimated 30,000 non-fatal electrical shocks happen every single year. However, those are just non-fatal shocks. The National Safety Council estimates that there are at least 600 – 1000 people that die every year from electric shocks.
If you are a person who is disturbed by these facts and wants to go to certain lengths to avoid getting electrocuted, read on and learn from these tips that will help you avoid shocking yourself to death or burning down your house.
Tips to Avoid Electrical Fires
Check your entire house for loose-fitting plugs in outlets, as they are prone to shock and are considered a major fire hazard. To fix this, just replace any broken or missing wall plates so the wires inside are not exposed. If you have children in your home and they are at that curious age, be sure to cover up any outlets that you are not using and are within easy reach of children.
Nowadays everyone carries around their charger with them, which is fine and practical. However, things can get dangerous when you plug in too many chargers into one outlet using an adapter to plug in more than two plugs. Doing this will undoubtedly overload the outlet
Many homes have old cords they keep in their house and just never seem to get around to throwing out, and love time those cords can become cracked and frayed, which is a shock hazard. Tucking cords underneath carpet rugs, or are just on the ground, especially when cracked and frayed is a major fire hazard, not to mention a tripping hazard as well. Despite the fact you may see cords stapled or nailed to the wall or floor at other places, do not do this in your home! Doing so would be a fire hazard.
Extension Cords should really only be used temporarily, and never used as a permanent power outlet source. When you are using an extension cord be sure the outlets have cap covers to protect and children or animals from electric shocks and burn injuries to the mouth.
Every light fixture has a lightbulb wattage requirement. Be sure to purchase the lightbulbs with the correct wattage for each fixture. Replace any bulbs that have a wattage that is too high for the fixture it is in. Be mindful when screwing in the bulbs as well, as a bulb that is not screwed in all the way can overheat.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters(GFCIs)
GFCIs should be tested every month and should be installed in your laundry room, bathrooms, basement/garage, kitchen, and any outdoor outlets.
There are many other ways that electrical fires may happen and if you would like to learn more about electrical fire prevention a simple google search and a little research will go a long way to prevent your home or business from burning down because of a simple, easily avoidable electrical issue.